Slow down, it's time forA village history: Gelting
Take a deep breath
Gelting, once known as Geltyng, was first mentioned in the Danish Census Book of Valdemar II in 1231. Gelting Castle was the reason for the reference. On this estate between Gelting and Kappeln, there was a large forest which was used as a hunting ground.
Since 1986, Gelting is a recognised climatic spa and, since 1990, it has been a Kneippkurort (a high-ranking German title for a spa town) at the Baltic Sea. Gelting offers more than just fresh air. This place located directly at the Baltic Sea bears cultural treasures from the past such as the 12th century church consecrated by Saint Catherine of Alexandria.
Gelting is also well known by sailors due to its Wackerballig Marina. With 234 berths, it is an ideal starting point for members of this club to set sail on the Baltic Sea. In the neighbouring community Nieby at the Geltinger Birk, the Charlotte Windmill, built in Dutch style, awaits interested visitors. It was once built to drain the lowlands and to mill grain.