A journey through time in six steps – from 1231 until todayHistorical Tour Gelting
Town hall in Gelting
The town hall is one of the oldest and, with its dark timber, red bricks and thatched-roof, the most beautiful buildings in the village. In 1733, the house was erected in the old Angeln farm style. The senior pastor of the Gelting parish lived here until 1823, when the building was let. After suffering damage from a storm, one third of the eastern part of the building was torn off and a new wall was erected. Over the next years, the building deteriorated to a point that plans were developed to tear it down completely just before the First World War. Fortunately it never came to that. In the interest of monument preservation, it was decided to restore the beautiful thatched-roof house in 1926.
St. Katharinen Church
The Gothic style brick church is assumed to have been built shortly after the year 1300. The foyer with the south portal dates from this time. As is typical for the region, the three bells of the church are hung in a freestanding wooden belfry. The church, named after Saint Catherine of Alexandria, was extended between 1792 and 1794 and reconstructed into a single-nave church with four boxes for the noble families Gelting, Düttebüll, Priesholz and Oehe. The 1495 Great Rood carved by Hans Grothe, the baptismal font with its crown, the pulpit and the completely restored Marcussen organ is particularly worth seeing.
The inn is one of the oldest buildings in the village centre. In 1841, a single-storey, thatched-roof church inn was built on a lot of the Gelting Estate. The innkeeper was allowed to distil and sell alcohol here and the building served as a brewery, distillery, cooperage and shop. In 1898, the church inn received an adorned upper floor and a pantiled roof. An annexe was built in 1914 and 1918, serving as a festal hall with more to follow. To this day, the inn has been run as a family business by the Henningsen family since 1988, and it is the social centre of the Gelting community.
The island harbour at the Geltinger Bucht was built in 1969. Back then, the Geltinger Yachtclub was founded. The places for mooring soon became too small and the plea for a protected harbour became louder. In 1976, the local council decided to support the club with its plans and in January 1980, the foundation of a new harbour was laid. On 18 July 1980, the marina, with its 200 metre long landing stage and 234 berths, opened up. At the end of 2003, it was sold to a private operator and has since then been extended continuously.
The name and location of this private high-roofed mansion at the Geltinger Noor seem rather mystical. The history of Grahlenstein is closely connected to the name Claus Jaspersen. In 1827, this nature loving lawyer purchased the lot with the mansion, which was part of the Gelting Estate, and created a park-like garden. After his death in 1847, the ownership passed to Bogislaw de Grahl who lent his name to the mansion and was a friend of King Frederick VII of Denmark. In 1983, Grahlenstein burnt down but was then rebuilt to its original state.
The Gelting Estate often referred to as Gelting Castle is surrounded by a noble moat and was first mentioned in the year 1231. It often changed from noble to royal Danish hands.
In 1758, Sönke Ingwersen, a business magnate who came by money in East India and was ennobled as Baron of Geltingen in 1759, purchased the estate which today is still privately owned by his family and not available to the public. The manor represents a three-winged complex. The east wing with its round corner tower dates back to the year 1470 and the west wing to the year 1680. The two-storey central building was reconstructed in 1770. Since then, the Dutch style sliding windows are characteristic for the face of the building.