Historic tours in KappelnUrban Kappeln
Amanda Mill in the Dutch style with tourist information
This smock mill in the Dutch style, built in 1888 for 80,000 gold marks, is one of the most eye-catching structures in the town. At 32 metres in height, it is also the tallest and the only combined grain and sawmill in Schleswig-Holstein. The windmill was used to mill grain until 1964. In 1977, the town of Kappeln acquired and renovated the old structure. Today, the mill houses the town's tourist information office, an exhibit space with maritime artefacts, and a room for wedding ceremonies. From the gallery halfway up the mill, the eye can see far beyond Kappeln and the Schlei all the way to the Baltic Sea. The combined mill also includes a historic sawmill, where tree trunks are turned into lumber just like they were a hundred years ago.
The Old Municipal Court Building in Kappeln
Until March 31st, 2007, this building was the seat of the Kappeln District Court, or "Amtsgericht". The Prussian court system was introduced in Kappeln in 1867 after the Second Schleswig War, after which Denmark surrendered Schleswig and Holstein to Prussia. For a time, the city had two district courts, which were finally combined in 1877. 130 years later, the Kappeln District Court was abolished as part of an administrative reorganisation; today, the former court building in the typical Prussian architectural style is used by the local police and water police stations.
Kappeln Town Hall
The present Kappeln city hall on the Reeperbahn dates from 1869. It was originally built as a school, with alternating bands of yellow and red brick and an eye-catching, chevron-patterned tile roof. It is one of the few secular works of the prolific church architect Johannes Otzen, and is an outstanding example of the expressive possibilities of brick construction. The city hall is Kappeln’s most significant example of 19th century architecture. In 1983, the former school building was expanded by a new adding a new structure behind it that duplicated the dimensions of the original. The old and new portions are connected by a glass bridge. The entire complex is used today as Kappeln’s town hall.
St. Nikolai Church
This late Baroque brick church was constructed between 1789 and 1793. Much like the Amanda windmill, the church tower with its green, curved copper roof and lantern topped with a weathervane is a defining feature of Kappeln’s cityscape. St. Nicholas was designed by Johann Adam Richter, a student of Ernst Georg Sonnin, the architect of the famous Church of St. Michael in Hamburg. The foundation of the church consists of boulders from 22 megalithic tombs. The interior, with two galleries and made entirely of wood painted in tones of white, grey, and blue, can accommodate 1,200 worshipers. Keep your eye out for St. Christopher. You’ll find the patron saint of travelers swaying from side to side as a weathervane on top of the tower. The oldest parts of the impressive church organ date from the 17th century.
Former Railway Station Hotel
In 1885, Kappeln became the terminus of the Flensburg local railway, connecting the port city with northern Angeln and Flensburg. Other local railways soon followed, linking Kappeln to Schleswig and Eckernförde. Regular service on the last remaining section of the line to Süderbrarup ended in 1972. Since 1979, however, the steam trains of the Angelner Dampfeisenbahn, Germany’s northernmost museum railway, make use of the line, which was originally built in 1904. One reminder of the glory days of the railway in modern Kappeln is the Café Kö. Construction on this former railway station hotel began in 1902; until 1958, it also housed the railway ticket office.
Laid out around 1800, the namesake of this street was Prince Carl zu Hessen-Kassel, lord of the manor of Roest and at the time also proprietor of the local market town of Kappeln. He provided more than two hectares of land for the construction of 32 new houses to encourage Kappeln’s growth.
Today, many lovingly restored old houses bear witness to a successful programme of urban redevelopment. Of particular interest is the building at Number 38. Inset into the gable of the house is a carved and painted sandstone relief from the 16th century depicting God the Father sitting in judgment; the relief was probably once part of the chapel of the estate at Stubbe, and was brought to Kappeln by a trader.