The Heart of the Schwansen PeninsulaHistorical Tour Rieseby
Rieseby Railway Station
The 1870s in Germany were marked by a flurry of railway construction, including in the far north. One of these new railways was the private Kiel-Eckernförde-Flensburger Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft (KEFE). Various routes were discussed. A Rieseby innkeeper named Köhn is credited with ensuring that the chosen route led through Rieseby; initially, it was intended that the railway station would be built in Stubbe instead. The Rieseby railway station was festively decorated to mark the start of regular train service between Kiel and Flensburg on December 20th, 1881.
Pharmacy in the Old Schoolhouse
Experts will immediately identify the brick building housing the pharmacy on Rieseby’s Dorfstraße as a former school building. The school was erected here next to Rieseby’s church in 1859. Initially constructed with a thatched roof, it attained its current appearance in 1929, when it was expanded with an additional story. Since 1984, it has contained the Schulhaus pharmacy, with its charming herb garden. The history of Rieseby’s schoolhouses is a long one. The first school was a church school for infants, located next to the pastor’s house in Norby. Initially transferred to a location across from the Schulenkrog (an inn), the new school now housing the pharmacy was commissioned after a fire.
Old Vicarage in Norby
The existence of a permanent residence for a pastor in the village of Norby is attested to as early as the 16th century – a kilometre from the church in the centre of Rieseby. There is a simple explanation for this spatial separation, which was common at the time. It was once the case that pastors normally also operated a small farm, which provided them with most of their income. Thus, the Old Vicarage once also had a barn, stables, and other outbuildings. The surviving vicarage in Norby was completed in December 1812. After the construction of a church community centre, the thatched building was sold to a private owner in 1974.
Anna Windmill and Sawmill
The Anna windmill in Norby was built in 1911, after its predecessor fell victim to a fire the year before. Among the unusual features of the mill is the directly adjoining, villa-like house for the miller. Until 1978, Anna’s sails powered four sets of millstones. In 1994, the municipality of Rieseby acquired the decrepit mill, which received a thorough restoration thanks to the efforts of many volunteers. Today, the Anna mill contains a museum of local culture with a collection of more than 2,000 items; the foyer with its antique furnishings is a popular site for weddings. The museum also includes the Old Sawmill and a reconstructed whim, or horse-powered capstan. A café is located inside the mill.
Riesby Krog and Thatched Cottage
The Riesby Krog has been the centre of communal life in Rieseby since 1850. More than a century and a half after the cornerstone of the building was laid, its layout is largely unchanged, featuring several spaces for guests and a large room for festivals and dances. Since a change of management in 2007, the historic country tavern has become a destination for gourmets in the know from far outside the region, thanks to its fresh, regional cuisine. An old half-timbered cottage stands next to the Riesby Krog, dating from approximately 1800. In the early 1990s, the cottage was fully renovated and is used as a residential and for gastronomic purposes.
St. Petri Church
This Rieseby landmark dates to the 13th century. Schleswig bishops, who at the time maintained a fortified castle at Stubbe Manor, made the decision to build the church. The church was originally started to be constructed as a flat-roofed Romanesque structure, but after a change of plan, was given a vaulted ceiling in the transitional late Romanesque style in the late 13th century. Especially popular among bridal couples, St. Petri Church is an imposing example of medieval brick architecture. The atmosphere is further strengthened by its beautiful churchyard and cemetery. Inside the church, the rood cross, baptismal font, pulpit, and Baroque altar catch the eye of visitors.