Slow down, it's time forA village history: Karby
The village with a church in its name
The name Karby derives from the Danish words "Karke" (church) and "by" (village). Historically, Karby has always been the village with a church in the Schwansen parish.
Karby has a church built in the early-Gothic style in the year 1280. The 24-metre high tower with a saddle roof is particularly striking. Its inside is a real eye-catcher as well. The carved pulpit dates back to the year 1592 and is believed to be the work of the renowned pictorial carver Hans Gudewerdt from Eckernförde.
Tours are available in the time between Easter and the harvest festival from 8AM to 4PM.
Until 1958, Karby was a station on the local railway line from Eckernförde to Kappeln. Karby is located 5 kilometres from Kappeln and 20 kilometres from Eckernförde. Both port towns have their own flair. Enjoy Eckernförde's Baltic Sea beach or Kappeln's snugness with its beautiful harbour line.