Historical Tour of SchleswigBusdorf
At Kirchenweg 1, you can find the oldest house of the community. This building used to be a school in 1767 and, today, houses a hair salon and a village museum. The Küsterschule (old school building), also known as Niedersachsenhaus (lower-Saxony house), was built as a thatched-roof timber house and the school room was extended with an annexe from 36 sqm to 70 sqm in 1830. Even in 1861, some 100 children went to school here in this already run-down building.
Historic Guesthouse Haddeby
The history of this popular country guest house dates back to the year 1828. Back then, it was Haddeby's first inn outside the city gates of Schleswig. In 1948, the historic building burnt down, but a new guest house and hotel was built on its foundation which was in its heydays in the 1950s and 1960s. At the beginning of the 1980s, the last owner resigned and the guest house became a ruin. In 2007, however, the building at this traditional address was revived and opened its doors in March 2009. Today, many old postcards offer an insight into the diverse history of this house in historically seeming ambience.
St Andreas Church
Like in many places of Schleswig-Holstein, the vicarage and church are two different buildings. The church, which was built around 1200, is located outside the village centre in Haddeby. A legend reveals that this single-navel romantic fieldstone church was built on the foundation of the holy Ansgar a wooden church built in 849 with the purpose to proselytise the Vikings. The walls of the navel and chancel date back to the 12th century. A few romantic windows were retained. The gallery, which had been erected during the Reformation period, was removed in 1955. The triptych, which dates back to the year 1450, is particularly noteworthy.
Hedeby Viking Museum
The Viking settlement Hedeby was located on the west shore of the Haddebyer Noor surrounded by a semi-circle wall. Here, the Vikings were present from approximately 800 to 1066. Hedeby was one of the most important trading places of Northern Europe at that time. Archaeological excavations have taken place here since 1900 and the Hedeby Viking Museum, which among other things exhibits the royal longboat salvaged in the old port of Hedeby, vividly informs about the current progress. In walking range, visitors of the museum can also enjoy a journey through time with the seven reconstructed Viking houses.
Skarthi-Stone in Busdorf
In 1857, a runestone from the Viking age was discovered in the Busdorf community which soon became its landmark and can also be spotted on the coat of arms. At its finding spot, a reconstruction can be found, whereas the original stone can be visited at the Hedeby Viking Museum. The runestone was placed in memory of Skarthi, a retainer of King Sveinn "forkbeard" who died at Hedeby. Runestones were set as memorial places in the Viking era, but they were also for displaying who was entitled an inheritance. Runes were used in the Germanic world starting in the second century.
Margarethenwall in Busdorf
The Margarethenwall in the Busdorf community is part of the Danevirke – a 30-kilometre long fortification wall built during the Viking era constructed in several steps starting from 700 AD. Today, the Danevirke is the greatest archaeological natural monument in Northern Europe. The Margarethenwall partly erected as a double-wall in 968 was used as a 3-kilometre long connecting wall between the Ringwall of Hedeby and the Danevirke's the main wall. The Margarethenwall is particularly well preserved between the village centre of Busdorf and the A7 Autobahn.